Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Resolutions- Create, Learn, & Encourage

I make a collection of resolutions each year, and last year some friends and I grouped them: health, personal, and professional goals. I'm going to attempt to track the professional goals here this year.

I'm going to leverage my strengths to improve upon my areas of weakness.
  1. Create- Increase my professional social media presence. Blog at least once a month. Tweet at least once a week.
  2. Learn- Keep track of time spent on professional commitments in my calendar, and analyze how I'm spending my time to budget time better. In an effort to avoid over-committing or stretching myself too thin, I need to both plan forward and log endeavors honestly. I'll log to the best of my ability and reflect at the end of each month to make more specific and measurable goals for the next month.
  3. Encourage- Really see the people (all kinds of colleagues) I interact with and offer specific praise. As an introvert, I spend a lot of my time observing and listening to others, speaking up about things when an original idea comes to me or I notice something problematic. I want to purposefully work on regularly praising some of the good work others are doing around me. This comes from wanting to not just steer clear of the negativity that seems to cloud education lately, but to work against it. (Inspired by http://smartblogs.com/leadership/2015/12/24/new-years-development-goals-for-leaders-2016-edition/ shared by a moderator on https://www.facebook.com/IllinoisECET2)
Here's to 2016! #teacherresolutions

No comments:

Post a Comment