Friday, July 24, 2020

New Kid: Black Boys Belonging

Just finished reading

📖 : New Kid by Jerry Craft

We follow Jordan- a 7th grader from Washington Heights who loves to draw- as he navigates a new school where opportunities and microaggressions abound, while trying to maintain friendships with kids in his neighborhood whom he doesn’t seem to have the time for with the new lengthy commute and wealth of homework. This book deftly develops themes around identity, culture, racism, class, friendships, and belonging. The graphic novel form, the humor and steadfastness of the protagonist, and the lessons he learns inspire such hope! Highly recommend the book for middle schoolers. Keep reading for my take-aways.


🙋🏽‍♀️

Take-Away 1️⃣ 

I finished this book within a day! While BIPOC have a range of experiences in PWI, this book captured some of my hard-to-describe experiences as a brown student on financial aid in an independent school in Chicago. I know this book will speak to many students who feel unheard and overlooked. 

👩🏽‍🏫

Take-Away 2️⃣ 

As a teacher, I cringed at the portrayals of the different teachers... I started matching my teachers to characters. Then, paused to reflect which one I was most like!

👩🏽‍💻

Take-Away 3️⃣ 

I have to give graphic novels more credit and incorporate them into curriculum intentionally. Any other graphic novels I need to read ASAP?

📖 

I would highlight: around pg. 88 where Jordan and Drew talk about feeling like outsiders, being stereotyped and judged, family pressure, and their careful work to help people at the school not view them as threats (only to have a White teacher overhear their parting and mischaracterize it as threatening). This moment of vulnerability and connection was powerful; and I realize, so rare to see between boys in books for this age!  So many moments to sit with and moments to celebrate... can’t wait for the new book by Craft: Class Act! 

❤️ 

No comments:

Post a Comment